According to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, primary care is the provision of integrated and accessible healthcare services by a doctor who addresses personal healthcare needs, develops a lasting partnership with the patient, and practices in the context of family and community. In a nutshell, primary care is the day-to-day healthcare your doctor provides you.
A primary care physician is a doctor who practices primary care and takes care of your unique needs from head to toe. They go above and beyond just treating illnesses and offer:
- Screening and disease prevention
- Acute and chronic illness care
- Injury and wound care
- Education on disease prevention and treatment
- Health counseling
- Coordinated care (as they coordinate with other healthcare professionals)
Let’s talk about different types of primary care providers, why you need them, and where you can find the best primary care providers in Northern New Jersey.
Types Of Primary Care Providers
Primary care providers can be of different types, such as:
- Family Physicians. These doctors are trained to prevent, diagnose, and treat health conditions in people of all ages – from infants, children, teens, and adults to senior citizens. Family physicians offer a wide range of comprehensive services, from acute and chronic illness treatment to immunization and minor surgery.
- Internal Medicine Doctors. Internists are specifically trained to diagnose and treat health problems of adults of all ages.
- Obstetrician/Gynecologists (OB/GYN). As primary care doctors, OB/GYN provide care to women. They care for women’s reproductive health and provide services during pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum, menopause, etc.
- This type of primary care doctor takes care of all the unique healthcare needs of your infants, children, and teenager up to age 21.
- Nurse Practitioners. Nurses can also provide primary care. They are specially trained to prevent, diagnose, and treat various health conditions. As primary care doctors, nurse practitioners can manage their patients and work independently in their own scope of practice.
Why Need It?
You don’t want to be a number in an impersonal system; especially when taking care of your health. So, primary care doctor is your first and main resource for healthcare, with whom you can have an ongoing partnership.
You visit a primary care doctor to:
- Have better access to healthcare
- Improve your overall health outcomes
- Lower your healthcare cost
Primary care physicians make it possible for you to stay healthy and in your best shape without spending too much money. This is because they screen you to catch health problems early when they are easy and less expensive to treat and provide vaccination to prevent communicable diseases from contracting you.
If you have an illness that requires specialized care, your primary care doctor will act as a bridge between you and a specialist. They will not only find a specialist for you but also coordinate with them to ensure that you achieve the best outcomes of your specialized treatment.
Primary Care Doctor Near Me in Northern New Jersey
If you are actively looking for a trusted and experienced primary care doctor, visit us at Hudson MD Group. Our team of primary care doctors is committed to providing you with advanced, personalized, and comprehensive care for your needs. Besides primary care, we also offer specialized services such as cardiology, podiatry, and much more.
If you would like to make an appointment with one of our providers, call our staff today (973) 705-4914, or send us a message here through our online form. We look forward to serving you!