The primary care doctor’s office is our go-to place for most of our medical concerns that are not an emergency. Our primary healthcare needs include physical, mental, and social well-being.
What Is Primary Healthcare?
Primary care involves ongoing healthcare for patients. This is your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider where you will go for checkups, vaccinations, and referrals to medical specialists if necessary.
Primary care providers include:
- Family medicine physicians (care for patients of all ages)
- Internists (care for adults)
- Pediatricians (care for children up to age 18)
- Geriatricians (care for older adults)
- Nurse practitioners
What Does a Primary Care Provider Do?
A primary care doctor is the one who knows your medical history, recommends screenings and tests needed to maintain your overall wellness and to detect diseases, and tracks any changes in your health. This healthcare provider also collects and keeps your health records from any medical specialists you may see, such as an endocrinologist or a neurologist.
What Are Common Primary Care Services?
A primary care provider offers a comprehensive set of primary care services which include the following:
Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Illnesses
You can see your primary care provider whenever you notice any symptoms of illness, such as:
- Aches, pains, or numbness in any area of the body
- Cold and flu
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or excessive heartburn after eating
- Frequent heart palpitations
- Minor wounds or sores
- Sinus infections (achy or stuffy feeling in the cheeks next to the nose and the lower forehead)
- Sore throat, cough, sneezing
- Signs of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and urinary tract infections (UTIs), such as painful urination or genital warts
- Sprains and strains
- Men’s healthcare problems
- Women’s healthcare problems
A primary care provider offers individualized counseling about your health. For example, if you are either obese or underweight, your primary care provider will suggest helpful solutions to address your weight management issues.
Primary care providers aim to improve patients’ health, or to help them maintain good health. They encourage their patients to exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, quit smoking, limit drinking, and engage in other healthy behaviors.
Primary care providers offer:
- Annual physicals
- Immunizations and vaccines
- Blood test and urinalysis
- Referrals to medical specialists for further treatment if necessary
Primary Care Providers in Northern New Jersey
At Hudson MD Group, we offer both primary care and specialty care so that you don’t have to look further to get the complete healthcare you need. Our healthcare providers are dedicated to advancing the health and wellness of people of all ages in the communities we serve.